TOWN OF DENNIS VETERANS’
TAX WORK OFF PROGRAM
(GL Chapter 59 §5N)
This program offers Dennis seniors the opportunity to participate in a property tax relief program to a maximum of $500 per year in return for volunteer service to the town. The program begins with Fiscal Year 2018, and for each year will run from January 1st to December 31st.
Participants in this program may earn abatements in addition to any property tax exemptions they may be eligible for under other statutes, such as personal property exemptions under G.L. 59 §5 or residential exemptions under G.L. Ch. 59 §5C. They may also defer the balance of their taxes under G.L. Ch. 59 §5(41A) if they are eligible to do so. Duties may include answering phone, taking messages, typing, data entry, mailing, filing, meals on wheels delivery, indoor and outdoor maintenance, driving, or other roles where veteran’s may be of assistance.
- Domiciled in Dennis.
- Homeowner of property for which tax relief is sought.
Residing at property for which tax relief sought.
- Only one tax credit per household may be given.
Must have skills appropriate for the position or have the Veteran’s Agent certification that one is unable to work in any of the available positions and are thereby eligible to have a proxy perform the work for you.
- Must be a Veteran as defined in M.G.L. clause forty-third of section 7 of chapter 4.
- Credit for work will be given at the rate then current minimum wage of the Commonwealth and will be applied to the participants Dennis tax bill.
- The maximum tax credit given will be $500 per year.
- Number of volunteers is limited to 10 or $5,000.00 per fiscal year.
- To be credited in a given fiscal year, work must be completed by the preceding December 31st.
- The abatement amount earned is not considered income or wages for purposes of state income tax withholding, or workman’s compensation.
Under current federal law the abatement amount is included in the taxpayer gross income for both federal and FICA tax purposes.
The Gross amount earned will be applied to the overlay account and the taxpayer’s actual tax bill will show a credit for the amount earned net federal withholdings.
- It is the responsibility of the participants to report any credit to the IRS as an earnings in
the tax year in which it is received.
- An approved representative for persons physically unable to provide such services is
Complete the Veteran’s Tax Work-Off Application and returned to the program coordinator, who will interview the applicant and refer/ her/him to a Department Head who has requested volunteer assistance. An effort will be made to accommodate capacities and interests. Applications for positions will be filled on a first come, first served, space available basis.
Submit Application to: Veterans’ Tax Work-Off Program
Town of Dennis
685 Route 134
South Dennis, MA 02660