Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- Theresa T. Bunce, Town Clerk
- Sara McDonald, Assistant Town Clerk
- Angie Taylor, Office Assistant
Description of Services
Often considered the doorway to local government, the Town Clerk's office responds to inquiries and serves as the central information point for residents and visitors alike. The Town Clerk serves you as:
- Chief Election Official: Supervises voter registration, oversees polling places, election officers, and the general conduct of all elections as well as directs the preparation of ballots, polling places, voting equipment, voting lists, administers campaign finance laws, certifies nomination papers and initiative petitions, and serves on the Board of Registrars. The Clerk conducts the annual town census and prepares the street list of residents.
- Recording Officer: Records and certifies all official actions of the Town, including Town Meeting legislation and appropriations, election results, Planning and Zoning Board decisions, signs all notes for borrowing, and the keeper of the town seal. The Town Clerk attests by signature and seal to bonds, contracts, bylaws, resolutions, and any other documents requiring town certification.
- Licensing Officer: Issues marriage licenses, business certificates, dog licenses, burial permits, underground fuel storage registrations, and raffle/auction permits.
- Registrar of Vital Statistics: Keeps all official records of births, deaths, and marriages, providing the basis for the Commonwealth's Central Vital Registration System.
- Public Records Officer: Provides certified copies of vital records and is responsible for maintenance, disposition, and preservation of municipal archival records and materials. The Town Clerk maintains the official town bulletin board and the calendar for the scheduling of meetings of any town board, commission, or committee (including subcommittees). Pursuant to MGL Chapter 39, Section 23B, such meetings are open to the public and must be held in a building accessible to the public. Board, Committee, and Commission meeting minutes are filed with the Town Clerk.
The Town Clerk administers the oath of office to all town officials, whether they are elected or appointed. Both the Town Clerk and the Assistant Town Clerk are Justices' of the Peace and Notary Public for the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. The Town Clerk and the Assistant Town Clerk are also Burial Agents for the Town of Dennis.