All dogs older than six months require a license from the Town of Dennis.
Licenses are issued in the Town Clerk's office and are valid from January 1st to December 31st of each year. The dog license is good for one calendar year and will need to be renewed each year.
- Neutered/Spayed dogs: $5
- Non-neutered/spayed dogs: $20
Please note that if you have 5 or more dogs a kennel license is needed. For more information, please contact our Animal Control Department.
To obtain a dog license you may drop off your request in the front or right-side drop boxes, order by mail, or pay online.
For mail orders, send:
- A copy of a valid rabies certificate
- Any name or address corrections
- A check made payable to the Town of Dennis
- A self-addressed stamped envelope
Please be sure your dog wears his or her Dennis dog license on their collar. It could be their only ticket home should your dog get lost!
Top Dog of Dennis
The Town of Dennis held its first annual Top Dog of Dennis Photo Contest in 2012 and continues to run the contest annually. The contest is open to any Dennis resident who owns a dog. The winning dog will receive the Number 1 dog license tag-free of charge, their photo on the Town's website, and a certificate naming them the top dog. The winning dog owners will also be eligible for a free Massachusetts Animal Friendly License plate. For more information as to how to enter the contest please contact the Town Clerk's office at 508-760-6112.
- 2022 Top Dog Winner "Lilly"
- 2020 Top Dog Winner "Sophia
- 2019 Top Dog Winner "Cindy"
- 2018 Top Dog Winner "Grigio"
- 2017 Top Dog Winner "Kya"
- 2016 Top Dog Winner "Percy"
- 2015 Top Dog Winner "Dakota"
- 2014 Top Dog Winner "Louie"
- 2013 Top Dog Winner "Abby"
- 2012 Top Dog Winner "Honey"
How to Enter
- Submit a current photo of your dog with the dog's name, owner's name, address and telephone number on the back throughout the month of October.
- Updated rabies information from your veterinarian - Dog must be up to date to enter!
- A check for the new license made payable to the Town of Dennis.
- The mail-in Dog License form with completed information
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Mail all entries to the Town Clerk, 685 Route 134, South Dennis, MA 02660
- All runners-up will have their tags and photos mailed back to them. The winner will also get their payment back for the 2024 tag.
All Dog owners must have their 2024 license by January 31, 2024. A $5 late fee will be assessed per dog after that date.
Town of Dennis - Dog-Friendly Walking Areas
- Dennis Public Beaches: Animals/Dogs/Pets are not allowed on any Town Beaches or in Parking Areas, ANYTIME the Friday before Memorial Day through Labor Day, This carries a penalty of a $50 fine for each violation.
- Fresh Pond Dog Park: Located at 157 Rte.134 South Dennis, between the traffic lights at Upper County Road and the traffic lights at Rte. 28.
- Crowe's Pasture Conservation Area and Beach: Take Rte. 6A in East Dennis to School St. (across from Airline Road, just before the Brewster Town Line), the first right onto South St., and go straight through the stop sign, the cemetery is on the right. Dogs must be on a leash at all times. Check the Dennis Natural Resources page for up-to-date information regarding the allowance of dogs on Crowe's Pasture.
- Indian Lands Conservation Area: Located at 485 Main Street South Dennis.
- The Cape Cod Rail Trail: Directions from Rte. 6: Take Exit 9A (Rte. 134 South) and drive straight through 2 traffic lights, the Rail Trail is on the left, across from Hall Oil Co. or from Old Bass River Road next to the Old Town Hall Parking lot.