Notary Services Guidelines
The Town Clerk's office provides Notary services as a courtesy. Residents seeking Notary Services should call the Town Clerk's office prior to their visit to ensure that the Notary is available.
The following guidelines will be followed in the provision of Notary Service:
- Notary Services are available during the normal business hours by appointment only.
- A valid, government-issued photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary Service.
- The document(s) CANNOT already have been signed nor dated.
- All signers must be present at the time of notarization.
- If your document requires a witness(s), they must accompany you.
- The Notary stated they had witnessed the document being signed
- The document must contain the appropriate Notarial Statement or Clause, or one will be stamped on the document by the Notary.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized at this facility.
- Because we are not experts in law or finance, we are unable to notarize some documents including copy certifications, powers of attorney, wills, trusts, real estate closings, and various types of financial documents. Please call in advance to verify that your document can be notarized.
- Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples of these are birth, marriage, and death certificates.
- Massachusetts law requires that a Notary and the person seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other.
- This service is provided free of charge.
- In accordance with Massachusetts Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document, or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt, or uncertainty. In this event, the Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Services.
- Additionally, banks, office supply stores, AAA locations, and shipping and mailing services sometimes offer notary services but may charge a fee.
For questions and appointments regarding Notary services please email the Town Clerk's office or call 508-760-6112.