Substance Use Disorder Advisory Council
- Town Hall
685 Route 134
S Dennis, MA 02660
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
- PJ Rainwater, Member
- Ryan Carr, Police Department Representative
- Chris McCormick, Secretary
- Emma Beasley, Member
- Lynn Carlson, Chair
- Dustin Pineau, Member
- Daniel Kiley, COA Representative
- Ronnie Gullette, Member
- Gerald McKenna, Member
- Shannon DeCosta, Member
- Sally Bickford, Member
- Marilyn Bemis, Dennis-Yarmouth School Representative
Dennis CARES - Substance Use Disorder Advisory Council
The Dennis Substance Use Disorder Advisory Council shall advocate for a healthy community by promoting best practices for the prevention, intervention and treatment of alcohol, tobacco, opioid and other substance use disorders.
The Council shall be comprised of a diverse group of eleven (11) professionals and community members. All members representing various town departments and boards shall be appointed by said department/board. Members at large, High School Student and the Medical professional shall be appointed by the Board of Selectmen. Members shall be appointed to staggered three-year terms except the High School Student who shall be appointed to a one year term. Initial terms to be as follows:
- 1 from Board of Health-one year
- 1 from Police Department - two years
- 1 from Fire Department - three year
- 1 from Elder Services of Cape Cod and the Islands or Dennis Council on Aging- one year
- 1 from a Veterans Affairs Agency - two years
- 1 from the Dennis Municipal Affordable Housing Trust - three years
- 1 from School Administration - one year
- 1 High School Student from Dennis
- 2 from the community (members at large) - two years
- 1 from a licensed medical profession (Nurse/Doctor/Pharmacist) - three years
- Vacancies shall be filled by appointment for the unexpired term.
The Dennis Substance Use Disorder Advisory Council shall endeavor to:
- Bring increased awareness through the development and dissemination of educational programs to schools, civic groups and the general public.
- Reduce the stigma associated with substance abuse
- Promote educational opportunities
- Align resources for programs such as outreach, intervention, and rehabilitation.
The Council shall identify and make recommendations to the Board of Selectmen on resources and programs that may be implemented and or supported by the Town of Dennis to assist individuals and their families affected by substance use disorders. The Council shall identify policies and programs at the county, state, and federal level that will support our community's efforts to end such afflictions. The committee shall work locally and regionally to achieve its goals.
Two members of the Board of Selectman shall serve as liaisons to the Council.
The council shall meet as often as necessary in accordance with the requirements of the Massachusetts Open Meeting Law. Council members shall be mindful of their attendance obligations at committee meetings as identified in Article VII, Section 5-10 of the Town Code.
Adopted on 02/05/2019