Is my road a Town or Private road and what is the difference?

A road is either "State", "Town Owned" or "Privately Owned". All Town-owned roads are "open to the public" and the Dennis Department of Public Works (DPW) is responsible for all maintenance including snow plowing. A privately owned road can either be "open to the public" or "closed to the public". On a privately owned road that is "open to the public" and therefore considered a "public way", the DPW will plow snow and perform minor maintenance such as brush trimming. They do not perform significant maintenance such as paving and drainage. On a privately owned road "closed to the public" (a road that is posted "Residents Only, No Trespassing, or some other form attempting to deny the public access), the DPW does not perform any maintenance or snow plowing. State law prohibits the expenditure of taxpayers' money on these types of roads.

For quick reference, view an Alphabetical List of Road Names (PDF) with ownership status and a Corresponding Map (PDF).

Show All Answers

1. How do I report a streetlight that is not working?
2. How far off the asphalt surface does the road right-of-way end?
3. Is my road a Town or Private road and what is the difference?
4. What do I do about a drainage or pavement problem on a private road?
5. How do I change the street number of my house or business?
6. How do I report a drainage problem on a town road?
7. What work can I do within a Town road right-of way?
8. Where can I get a copy of the plan for my property?