What do I do about a drainage or pavement problem on a private road?

The town does not repair drainage problems or pave private roads. However, residents of a private way that is "open to the public" can request assistance from the Engineering Office in designing a solution to the problem. The Engineering office also has applications for either the Town's "Temporary Repairs to Private Roads" Bylaw or the "Acceptance of a private road as a town way" policy (See Downloadable Applications under links). Both applications can fund repairs to the road. The difference is that with the former the road remains privately owned and with the latter it becomes a town way and all future maintenance will be the town's responsibility. Funding for construction work associated with both these applications must be approved by the Town Meeting and is assessed to the abutters in the form of a betterment.

Show All Answers

1. How do I report a streetlight that is not working?
2. How far off the asphalt surface does the road right-of-way end?
3. Is my road a Town or Private road and what is the difference?
4. What do I do about a drainage or pavement problem on a private road?
5. How do I change the street number of my house or business?
6. How do I report a drainage problem on a town road?
7. What work can I do within a Town road right-of way?
8. Where can I get a copy of the plan for my property?