What work can I do within a Town road right-of way?

In general, the Town does not prohibit abutting landowners from making minor improvements to the Town right-of-way in front of their property. Planting grass, flowers, and low-growing shrubs, walkways, mailboxes, and sprinkler systems are considered minor improvements. However, anything placed in a Town right-of-way is there at the homeowner's risk. If something is damaged for any reason, including snow plowing, the responsibility for repairs is the homeowner. The placement of shrubs or trees that may grow to obstruct a driver's sightline, signs, or any objects that pose a safety hazard to vehicles, bicyclists, or pedestrians, is prohibited. Significant improvements such as adding, widening, or relocating a driveway, or installing utilities require a "Road Opening Permit".

Show All Answers

1. How do I report a streetlight that is not working?
2. How far off the asphalt surface does the road right-of-way end?
3. Is my road a Town or Private road and what is the difference?
4. What do I do about a drainage or pavement problem on a private road?
5. How do I change the street number of my house or business?
6. How do I report a drainage problem on a town road?
7. What work can I do within a Town road right-of way?
8. Where can I get a copy of the plan for my property?