Can I get boat excise abatement?

If boat ownership is transferred by sale or otherwise, or if during the fiscal year, the boat owner relocates it to another state and registers the boat in the other state and has surrendered/does not renew the registration in this state, the excise shall be prorated to the amount of time that the vessel was registered. The minimum boat excise assessment is $5.

Contact the Assessor's office at 508-760-6139 for an application for abatement OR print out a form using the link below. Follow the instructions on the form and send it to the Assessor's Office located at 685 Route 134, South Dennis, MA 02660, along with the required documentation.

If you no longer own your boat, please be sure that you cancel your title and registration with the Massachusetts Environmental Police. This will help prevent future tax bills as we get the majority of our registration information from them. Click the DEP Cancellation Form link below to cancel your title and registration.

Note: It is important to remember that the bill for a vessel you no longer own should not be ignored. On unpaid excise tax bills, an owner risks incurring late fees and penalties if abatement is not granted.

Show All Answers

1. What is boat excise?
2. How do you know I had a Boat in Dennis?
3. How is the excise determined?
4. How is the excise tax calculated?
5. Who collects the boat excise?
6. What happens if my payment is late?
7. Can I get boat excise abatement?
8. What do I need to get an abatement?
9. I paid my Boat Excise Tax in another Town?
10. Am I eligible for a boat exemption?
11. How do I change my address for my Boat Excise Tax?
12. What is the difference between Boat Excise and the Waterways Fee?