What do I need to get an abatement?

In order to abate a Boat Excise Tax bill, the following document(s) is required along with a completed Application for Abatement and your signature on the backside of the Tax bill (top section on the back of bill) or fill out a Boat Abatement Form (PDF) and DEP Cancellation Form (PDF).

Additional Documents:

  • Bill of Sale or Trade-in paperwork showing the date of sale or transfer with all pertinent boat information. Please Note: If the vessel was sold, the Massachusetts Environmental Police requires notification within 15 days of the sale.
  • Copy of a paid Boat Excise bill from another town where the boat is Moored/Stored. The registered "Moored/Stored" information can be found on the Environmental Police website or via telephone at 508-771-8382 Please Note: The taxpayer is responsible for paying the town that the boat is Moored/Stored in, not the first town that sends out a bill.
  • Documentation Certificate from the Coast Guard, if a documented vessel
  • Re-registration of the boat in another state and cancellation of the Massachusetts registration
  • Commercial fisherman, provide a Schedule C
  • If vessel was donated, a copy of the donation letter from the recipient
  • If the vessel was destroyed, a copy of Total Loss Letter from the insurance company

Please contact the Town of Dennis Assessing Department with any questions at 508-760-6139.

Show All Answers

1. What is boat excise?
2. How do you know I had a Boat in Dennis?
3. How is the excise determined?
4. How is the excise tax calculated?
5. Who collects the boat excise?
6. What happens if my payment is late?
7. Can I get boat excise abatement?
8. What do I need to get an abatement?
9. I paid my Boat Excise Tax in another Town?
10. Am I eligible for a boat exemption?
11. How do I change my address for my Boat Excise Tax?
12. What is the difference between Boat Excise and the Waterways Fee?