The Domestic Violence Unit of the Dennis Police Department consists of the Family Service Officer and the Victim Services Coordinator. Together they monitor and follow-up with the victims of domestic violence incidents as well as acts of violence directed toward the elderly and disabled.
DOMESTIC VIOLENCE/VICTIM SERVICES UNIT: A civilian staff position is assigned to this function which allows follow-up contact to be made with victims of domestic violence and other crimes. Immediate support can also be provided to victims of violent crime during the course of an initial investigation. Short-term crisis intervention and counseling is available to assist victims through the initial phase of their ordeal and provide support and transition to the court process. Contact is also made with people who have requested police services in a variety of non-criminal complaint categories to determine if a problem has been resolved or if additional police intervention is required.
FAMILY SERVICE OFFICER: A sworn police officer whose assignment includes the investigation and follow-up of issues related to Domestic Violence and the abuse and/or neglect of the Elderly or Disabled. Working in a cooperative effort with other members of the department and agencies whose sole responsibilities are to the victims of a single category, the Family Service Officer works to protect the victims from further violence and to gather evidence for presentation to the appropriate judicial proceeding.
Phone Numbers You Need to Know If You or Someone You Know is the Victim of Domestic Violence:
- POLICE EMERGENCY: 911
- Dennis Police Department Non-Emergency: 508-394-1313
- Dennis Police Department Victim Services Coordinator: 774-352-1472
- Independence House (Hyannis): 508-771-6507, after 5:00pm - Hotline 800-439-6506
- Department of Children & Families/Child Abuse Hotline: 1-800-792-5200
- Domestic Violence Hotline (Bilingual Spanish-English): 1-800-922-2600
- S.A.F.E (State Wide Domestic Violence Hotline): 877-785-2020 TDY: 877-521-2601
- Cape & Islands District Attorney's Office: 508-362-8103
- Orleans District Court: 508-255-4700
- Barnstable Probate and Family Court: 508-362-2511
Click here to read frequently asked questions about domestic violence.