Full Time Police Officer position
The patrol officer's position is the department's entry level position for police personnel.
The Town of Dennis Police Department is recruiting professional candidates for the position of Police Officer. Applicants must have completed and received certification for completing a full time Police Academy that is accepted by Massachusetts Municipal Police Training Committee, MPTC. (Full time Police Academy does not include the MPTC Reserve Intermittent Police Officer Academy) Preference may be given to candidates who have experience as full time or part time police officers.
Candidates must meet the basic qualifications for the position of Police Officer as determined by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and Dennis Police Department. These basic minimum qualifications include:
- Be a United States citizen (birth or naturalized);
- Be at least 21 years of age at the time of appointment;
- No felony Record (MGL 41-96A);
- Must have and maintain a valid Massachusetts driver’s license (Must obtain at least by date of appointment);
- Must possess a High School Diploma or have a G.E.D. Certificate.
- Must have a minimum of 60 College Credits or Honorable Discharge from United States Military Service with a minimum 1 year of Duty;
- Must have and maintain a valid Massachusetts License to Carry Firearms, “LTC”. (Must obtain at least by date of appointment);
- Must reside within 15 miles of the Town of Dennis at the time of appointment (MGL 41-99A);
- Must not smoke any tobacco products (MGL 41-101A)
- Must be able to perform the essential functions of a police officer as outlined in the job description, including being willing and available to perform shift work, including weekends, holidays and overtime on an order-in or emergency basis;
- No body art, tattoo(s), intentional scarring, mutilation, or dental ornamentation which would be visible while wearing the official uniform. Areas warranting disqualification include the head, neck, hands, legs and arms (if exposed while wearing a short-sleeved uniform shirt or uniform shorts); subject to modification in the discretion of the Chief.
To apply for this position complete the online application and attach cover letter and resume, no later than Tuesday, February 20, 2018.
The Town of Dennis is an AA/EOE.
The Department Cadets assist dispatch personnel answering phones, greeting citizens at the counter, entering and dispatching of calls and other related duties. Apply on the towns human resources page located here. For more information concerning the seasonal police cadet position you can contact Lt. John Brady or call 774-352-1510.