What do I do about a drainage or pavement problem on a private road?

The town does not repair drainage problems or pave on private roads. However, residents of a private way that is “open to the public” can request assistance from the Engineering Office in designing a solution to the problem. The Engineering office also has applications for either the Town’s “Temporary Repairs to Private Roads” Bylaw and the “Acceptance of a private road as a town way” policy (See Downloadable Applications under links). Both applications can fund repairs to the road. The difference is that with the former the road remains privately owned and the latter it becomes a town way and all future maintenance will be the town’s responsibility Funding for construction work associated with both these applications must be approved by Town Meeting and is accessed to the abutters in the form of a betterment.