Town Building Committee Charge
The Board of Selectmen shall establish a Town Building Committee (hereinafter referred to as Committee) to be comprised of seven (7) individuals residing in and being registered voters of the Town of Dennis. The Town Administrator or his designee shall serve as a non-voting ex officio member of the Committee. The Board shall endeavor to appoint individuals who, by reason of their current or prior background in such fields as construction, architecture, engineering, human resource or other relevant experience, have special knowledge and skills to assist the Board in evaluating and recommending sites, consulting with architects, obtaining plans, specifications, costs and project oversight for the construction, reconstruction, adaptive reuse or demolition of municipal buildings. The members of the Committee shall serve for staggered three-year terms. and meet at designated dates, times and locations that are convenient to its members as well as promoting public participation.
The Committee shall be responsible for gathering input from citizens, users and potential users, reviewing conceptual designs, making recommendations and acting in an advisory capacity for any public building or facility that may be assigned by the Board of Selectmen. The Committee’s work should include, but not be limited to the following:
- Consult with the Project Architect, the sponsoring Department and Board of Selectmen on the development of conceptual and schematic plans through the adoption of final design plans and specifications for any building or facility project and to assist in the selection of Architects, Project Managers and General Contractors for the project;
- Advise the sponsoring Department and Board of Selectmen on the work of the Project Manager and Project Architect and the administration of their services agreements respectively;
- Review and make recommendations to the sponsoring Department and Board of Selectmen, Project Manager and Project Architect on the work of the general contractor to ensure that the work is performed work in accordance with the plans, specifications and contract requirements;
- Develop and recommend a coordinated approach for the renovation, construction or demolition of any building project so as to minimize disruption of office work flow, loss of Town services, while at the same time to maximize the protection of employees if they are to remain in the building(s) under renovations.
- Conduct and include an assessment regarding the viability of renewable energy considerations on any buildings being evaluated. If any buildings are deemed inappropriate for renewable energy, the committee shall state why.
- Provide periodic reports on on-going projects no less frequent than quarterly to the Board of Selectmen;
- Attend site meetings as may be necessary for the scope and duration of the project with the Project Architect, Project Manager, the sponsoring Department and representative(s) of the General Contractor to discuss project status, construction schedule, site/building issues, questions regarding specification or plan details, and other such matters that need to be addressed/coordinated;
- Provide recommendations to the sponsoring Department, Project Architect and Project Manager on the coordinated delivery of furniture, furnishings and equipment in anticipation of building occupation;
- Review with the Project Architect and Project Manager requests for payment from the general contractor or various independent vendors, and make recommendations as to the release of payment (full or partial) to the sponsoring Department and/ or Town Administrator;
- Review and advise the sponsoring Department, Project Architect and Project Manager on matters necessary to allow continued construction progress by the general contractor or his subcontractors. Changes having a financial impact on the project shall be in accordance with contract requirements or require a formal Change Order. Change Orders in an amount of $5,000 or less may be approved by the Building Committee and signed by the Town Administrator. Change Orders exceeding this amount shall be presented to the Board of Selectmen for its approval. Such work associated with any Change Order shall not be undertaken until the Change Order has been approved, unless an emergency exists or circumstances arise that the work must be effectuated before the opportunity exists to meet with the Selectmen. In such instance, the Change Order must be presented to the appropriate parties as soon as practicable;
- Review with the Project Architect and Project Manager the near project closeout “punchlist” of work remaining to be done to ensure that the work is completed;
- Review and make recommendations to the Project Architect, Project Manager, Town Administrator and other department personnel on the development of a coordinated move of staff, equipment and functions into a new or renovated building.
- Verify with the Project Architect and Project Manager that any and all documents, communications, as-built plans and specifications, manufacturer’s product information and warranties are received by the Town as the project owner;
- Verify with the Project Architect and Project Manager the coordinate testing of systems to ensure code, warranty and specification compliance and that all product guarantee and warranty documentation has been properly submitted to ensure warranty coverages;
- Initiate reviews and make recommendations as may be deemed necessary by the Committee to successfully accomplish the building work in accordance with the terms and conditions of the project plans and specifications and the funding allocated for the project.
All meetings are to be held in a public location, properly posted and open to the public in accordance with the Massachusetts Open Meeting Law. Minutes of each meeting shall be prepared and approved by the Committee within thirty (30) days of any meeting and distributed to the Board of Selectmen. Committee members shall be mindful of their attendance obligations at Committee meetings as identified in Section 5-10 of the Town of Dennis By-Laws.