2020 Dog Licenses are available starting December 2, 2019
All dogs older than six months require a license from the Town of Dennis.
Licenses are issued in the Town Clerks office and are valid from January 1st to December 31st of each year. The dog license is good for one calendar year and will need to be renewed each year.
- Neutered/Spayed dogs: $5.00
- Non-neutered/spayed dogs: $20.00
Please note that if you have 5 or more dogs that a kennel license is needed.
For more information, please contact our Animal Control Department by clicking here.
To obtain a dog license you may come to the Town Clerk’s Office, order by mail or pay online.
For mail orders, (see form at top of page) send:
- A copy of a valid rabies certificate
- Any name or address corrections
- A check made payable to the Town of Dennis
- A self-addressed stamped envelope
Payments may also be made online for dogs that have already been licensed in Dennis, using UniPay.
Please be sure your dog wears his or her Dennis dog license on their collar. It could be their only ticket home should your dog get lost!
Top Dog of Dennis
The Town of Dennis held their first annual Top Dog of Dennis Photo Contest in 2012 and continues to run the contest annually. The contest is open to any Dennis resident who owns a dog. The winning dog will receive the #1 dog license tag free of charge, their photo on the Town's website, and a certificate naming them the top dog. The winning dog owners will also be eligible for a free Massachusetts Animal Friendly License plate. For more information as to how to enter the contest please contact the Town Clerk's office at 508-760-6112
How to enter:
- Submit a current photo of your dog with the dog's name, owner's name, address and telephone number on the back.
- Updated rabies information from your veterinarian - Dog must be up to date to enter!
- A check for the new license made payable to the Town of Dennis.
- The mail-in Dog License form with completed information
- Include a self-addressed stamped envelope.
- Mail all entries to the Town Clerk, 685 Route 134, South Dennis, MA 02660
- All runners up will have their tag and photo mailed back to them. The winner will also get their payment back for the 2020 tag.
Photographs will be accepted through the month of October 2019. Voting will take place at the Town Clerk's Office during the first two weeks of November. All Dennis residents are welcome to vote excluding Town of Dennis employees. Previous winners are ineligible to enter again.
All Dog owners must have their 2020 license by January 31, 2020. A $5.00 late fee will be assessed per dog after that date.
Town of Dennis - Dog Friendly Walking Areas
- Dennis Public Beaches: Animals/Dogs/Pets are not allowed on any Town Beaches or in Parking Areas, ANYTIME the Friday before Memorial Day through Labor Day, This carries a penalty of a $50.00 fine for each violation.
- Fresh Pond Dog Park: located on Rte. 134 South, between traffic lights at Upper County Rd. and the traffic lights at Rte. 28.
- Chapin Beach Conservation Area: Although Chapin public beach prohibits dogs during the summer season, dog owners may follow the 4 wheel drive tracks to the left of the public beach and walk the conservation area of the beach and sand flats year round. Dogs must be on leash at all times. Beach parking sticker required during summer beach hours. Directions to Chapin beach: Take Rte. 6A Dennis to New Boston Rd. (stay to the left of the playground); take a right onto Beach St., a left onto Black Flats Rd., and a left onto Dr. Bottero Rd.
- Crowe’s Pasture Conservation Area and Beach: Take Rte. 6A in East Dennis to School St. (across from Airline Rd, just before the Brewster Town Line), the first right onto South St., and go straight through the stop sign, the cemetery is on the right. Dogs must be on leash at all times.
- Indian Lands Conservation Area: Iocated at 485 Main St. South Dennis.
- The Cape Cod Rail Trail: Directions from Rte. 6: Take Exit 9A (Rte. 134 South) and drive straight through 2 traffic lights, the Rail Trail is on the left, across from Hall Oil Co or from Old Bass River Road next to the Old Town Hall Parking lot.