Marriage Licenses

To get married in the state of Massachusetts, you will need to file for a Certificate of Marriage with a Town Clerk's office. You may file with any town regardless of where in Massachusetts you are planning on getting married. The town in which you file with will have the permanent record of your marriage license.

Important facts about obtaining a Marriage License

  • This is a state marriage license that may be obtained in any city or town in Massachusetts as long as the marriage takes place in Massachusetts.
  • The bride and groom must both be present to file their marriage intentions.
  • Persons under 18 years of age must obtain parental and court permission with the court age waiver filed with this office.
  • There is a mandatory three (3) day waiting period not including the day of filing. If you wish to waive the three (3) day waiting period, a court waiver is necessary.
  • The marriage license is valid and must be used within sixty (60) days of the date the marriage intentions were filed. If the license is not used, it becomes void and it will be necessary to begin the entire process again.
  • Filing fee is $25.00 (in the Town of Dennis). Cash, checks or credit are accepted.
  • Divorced individuals do not need to show documentation of a previous marriage but should be certain that the previous marriage is finalized before filing for a new marriage.
  • As of January 28, 2005, pre-marital blood tests are no longer required in Massachusetts.
  • For couples wishing to get married on a Town beach please contact the Beach Department for a beach use permit.
  • If a person is currently in the military, intentions may be filed by either party, providing one is a Massachusetts resident. If a person is currently serving they do not need to be present to file but a copy of a Military ID is required.
  • If you wish to have an out-of-state member of the clergy to perform your wedding they need to get a "Certificate of Authorization" form the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to the ceremony. This can take a few weeks so plan accordingly. Call (617) 727-2836 or visit their website.
  • If you wish to have a non-minister or non-justice of the peace (such as a friend, relative or family friend) they need to obtain special permission to perform the ceremony from the Governor’s office. This process may require a few weeks so plan accordingly. We recommend that you apply between 1 and 3 months before the wedding to ensure the designationis received in time. Call (617) 725-4055  or visit their website.
  • The Town in which you file your Intentions of Marriage with is the Town that will have the record of your marriage regardless of where the wedding takes place.
  • After you are married you will not automatically receive a certified copy of your marriage certificate. Certified copies are $10.00 each and may be obtained in person at the Town Clerk’s Office, by mail, or online. Please visit the Vitals page in order to obtain a copy of your marriage certificate through the mail or online.
  • Reasons you may need a certified copy of you marriage include a name change with the Social Security Admininistration and Registry of Motor Vehicles, health insurance, bank accounts, property or deeds, and any other important documents and accounts.

Justice of the Peace

There are several Justice of the Peace on Cape Cod that are available to perform weddings. Below is a list that are located in Dennis.

Jerry DeSalvatore...........(508) 744 - 3223
Stephanie Lowell.............(508) 398 - 3123
Julia Johnson..................(774) 212 - 3100
Marianne Holland.............(617) 698 - 8272
Theresa T. Bunce............(508) 760 – 6115
Sara P. McDonald…………(508) 760 – 6116 



The Town does not keep track of Divorce Records. Click here for information regarding how to file for divorce, or please contact your local probate court: