Public Records & Genealogical Research


To make a Public Records Request, please click on this link: Click Here

***Please note:  If you need to make a request for the Police Department: Click Here

*** To expedite your request, please be as clear and specific as possible ***

If you prefer to fill out a form, please click on the attachment above "Public Records Request Form", print it, fill it out and send to either the Town Clerk's Office or the proper department.

In July of 2016, Gov. Charlie Baker signed a bill, Chapter 121 of the Acts of 2016, "An Act to Improve Public Records". This Bill takes takes effect on January 1, 2017. Listed below are the Record Access Officers for the Town of Dennis, also known as RAO:

Town Clerk: Theresa Bunce
Police Department: Lt. Thomas Murray
Fire Department:  Anthony Kent, Deputy Chief

Attached are helpful links:  

Commonly Requested Records

Genealogical Research

The Town of Dennis was established in 1793. Our records only date back to 1793 though we do occasionally have older family records. For earlier records you would need to contact the town of Yarmouth as Dennis was part of Yarmouth before 1793. Some of our older records are not full records. In some instances we may only have family records where names of family members were recorded with a date of birth/marriage/death. These records are usually sufficient for genealogical research.

Certified copies of Births, Death and Marriages are available thorough the Town Clerks office or through the offices of the Massachusetts Registry of Vital Records and Statistics.

Genealogy Requests:

Genealogical Requests can be made in person, by phone or by mail. Please note that we can only accept cash, check, money order as payment or online using UniPay. Checks should be made payable to the Town of Dennis.

Please provide the name of the person whose record you are requesting, the date of the record and specify which type of record you are looking for (Birth, Marriage, Death). If you have more information such as names of parents please include that information. If you are not sure of a specific date for the record please provided an estimated date or year.

Helpful Links:

Massachusetts Archives

MA Genealogical Research

National Archives