The Zoning By-Law Study Committee is a broad-based committee that shall research, update, and foster community consensus on zoning by-laws of the Town of Dennis.
The committee shall be comprised of registered voters as follows: one member appointed by the Dennis Port Revitalization Committee; one member appointed by the Zoning Board of Appeals; one member appointed by the Community and Economic Development Committee; four at-large members to be appointed by the Board of Selectmen with no more than two members residing in the same village. Members shall be appointed to staggered three-year terms. Initial terms to be as follows:
- Dennis Port Revitalization Committee – one years
- Community and Economic Development Committee – two years
- Zoning Board of Appeals – three years
- One at-large members – one year
- Two at-large members – two years
- One at-large members – three years
Two (2) alternate members will be appointed for one (1) year staggered terms. The alternate members shall serve in the absence of full members. Alternates will alternate their service in the absence of a full member to the extent practical.
Vacancies shall be filled by appointment for unexpired terms.
- Provide a forum for town residents, businesses, boards, commissions, and departments to present and discuss potential zoning by-Laws and/or amendments.
- The committee shall review all zoning by-law proposals and amendments for its clarity, effectiveness and enforceability.
- The committee shall present recommended by-laws and/or by-law amendments to the Planning Board for their review process.
- The committee will present bi-annual reports at a Board of Selectmen meeting, within fourteen days of March 1 and September 1 of each year.
The Building Commissioner shall serve as administrative support to the committee.
The committee shall meet as often as necessary in accordance with the requirements of the Massachusetts Open Meeting Law. Committee members shall be mindful of their attendance obligations at committee meetings as identified in Article VII, Section 5-10 of the Town Code.
Adopted on 02/05/2019