How do I cancel my registration (license plates)?

If you no longer own your car and do not plan on using your plates on a new car, you may wish to cancel your registration. You can do this with the Registry of Motor Vehicles. You can cancel them online or by making an appointment with the RMV. If you have AAA this may be a service they can assist you with.

You may be entitled to a refund or abatement:

  • When vehicle is sold or traded
  • When vehicle is registered in another state
  • Upon theft of vehicle or total loss
  • Documentation is required in all cases, no excise may be reduced to less than $5.

No abatement of less than $5 will be granted and no refund of less than $5 will be made.

Only canceling your registration does not entitle you to an abatement. You must also lose possession of the vehicle in order to be entitled to a refund. Cancelling your registration will prevent future tax bills.

Show All Answers

1. What is motor vehicle excise?
2. Where does the billing information come from?
3. How is the excise determined?
4. How is the excise tax calculated?
5. Who collects the motor vehicle excise?
6. When is payment due?
7. What happens if my payment is late?
8. What are the requirements for abatements (adjustment to your bill)?
9. How do I cancel my registration (license plates)?
10. How do I get an abatement?