Shopping & Local Errands
For older adults without transportation, the Dennis Senior Center (DSC) provides door-to-door bus service. Weekly trips to local shopping centers include Patriot Square in South Dennis. In addition, for a nominal fee, special trips are scheduled throughout the month to destinations such as Hyannis Mall and Market Basket in Sagamore.
For more information, check the latest issue of the Cranberry Scoop. Our Transportation Coordinator, Daniel Kiley, is happy to take suggestions. For reservations, call the Senior Center at least a day ahead, at 508-385-5067.
General Bus Schedule (subject to change)
- Tuesday 10:15 am - Stop and Shop | Patriot Square Mall
- 1st Thursday 10 am - Market Basket
- 2nd Thursday 10 am - Hyannis Shopping
- Friday 10:15 am - Dennis Stops | Patriot Square Mall
Food Pantry Bus
The last Thursday of the month, starting at 11:30 am. Once a month the Dennis Senior Center offers a round-trip ride to the Family Pantry in Harwich. The bus can seat up to 10 people. Reservations are required. Please call 508-694-2002 to reserve your seat. There is no fee for this bus trip.
- Thursday, September 26th
- Thursday, October 24th
Transportation to the Senior Center
To request a ride, call the Senior Center at least 24 hours in advance, at 508-385-5067.
Volunteer drivers provide rides to and from local medical appointments for ambulatory Dennis seniors who do not have their own transportation, for appointments in Dennis, Yarmouth, Harwich, Orleans, Hyannis, and Sandwich. Our volunteer drivers do not provide rides past Hyannis (except to OCB in Sandwich for eye surgery).
- To request a ride, call the Senior Center at least 72 hours in advance, at 508-385-5067.
- When calling for a ride, please have the name and address of the doctor, the date and time of your appointment, and the complete address of the medical facility.
- Only one medical ride is allowed per week, except for special circumstances.
- Suggested donation is $6 per ride round trip locally, and $12 to $15 per ride round trip to Hyannis or Orleans.
- A ride to Sandwich is a $25 fee.
Boston Hospital Transportation (BHT) Bus
(Please Note: this is not a Council on Aging service)
Enjoy comfortable, wheelchair-accessible transportation from Cape Cod directly to Boston hospitals. The Cape Cod Regional Transit Authority (CCRTA) provides medical transportation services Monday through Friday by reservation to 15 Boston area hospitals. The bus stops in Wellfleet, Eastham, Orleans, Harwich, Barnstable Commuter Lot, and the Sagamore Commuter Lot.
- Schedule your medical appointments between 10 am and 2 pm. The bus leaves Boston by 3 pm.
- Reservations are a must! Fare $30 round-trip / $15 one-way. For reservations call, 800-352-7155, Monday through Friday, 8 am to 5 pm.
- For more information, visit the CCRTA website.
BHT services the following medical facilities:
- Beth Israel/Deaconess Medical Center
- Boston Medical Center
- Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Children's Hospital
- Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- Joslin Diabetes Center
- Mass. Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Mass. General Hospital
- New England Baptist Hospital
- Shriners Burn Institute
- Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital
- St. Elizabeth's
- Tufts NE. Medical Center
- Veterans Affairs
Dial-A-Ride Transportation - DART
CCRTA provides a daily door-to-door transportation service, available to all Cape Cod residents and visitors for any purpose. DART service is available Monday through Friday in all 15 Cape towns from 7 am to 7 pm, on Saturdays from 9 am to 7 pm, and on Sundays 9 am to 1 pm in most towns.
- Reservations can be made between 8 am-5 pm, Monday through Friday by calling 800-352-7155. Same-day changes or reservations are not permitted.
- Reservations must be made by 5 pm two days (or 48 hours) before you intend to travel.
- Exact fare required:
- Adults and Youth: $3 per ride
- Seniors and people with disabilities: $1.50 per ride
- Children five and younger ride free (with adult)
For more information, visit the CCRTA website.