Marriage Licenses & Vital Records (Birth, Death & Marriage Certificates)
To get married in the state of Massachusetts, you will need to file for a Certificate of Marriage with a Town Clerk's office. You may file with any town regardless of where in Massachusetts you are planning on getting married. The town in which you file with will have the permanent record of your marriage license.
Please Note: Appointments are required for couples wishing to file for a Marriage License. Appointments can be scheduled by calling 508-760-6112 or emailing the Town Clerk.
Important Facts About Obtaining a Marriage License
- This is a state marriage license that may be obtained in any city or town in Massachusetts as long as the marriage takes place in Massachusetts.
- The bride and groom must both be present to file their marriage intentions and must provide proof of age such as a driver's license, passport, or birth certificate.
- There is a mandatory three-day waiting period not including the day of filing. If you wish to waive the three-day waiting period, a court waiver is necessary.
- The marriage license is valid and must be used within 60 days of the date the marriage intentions were filed. If the license is not used, it becomes void and it will be necessary to begin the entire process again.
- The Filing fee is $35 (in the Town of Dennis). This includes one pre-paid certified copy of your marriage certificate, which will be mailed after your signed certificate is received and processed following your ceremony. Cash, checks, or credit are accepted.
- Divorced individuals do not need to show documentation of a previous marriage but should be certain that the previous marriage is finalized before filing for a new marriage.
- As of January 28, 2005, pre-marital blood tests are no longer required in Massachusetts.
- For couples wishing to get married on a Town beach please contact the Beach Department for a beach use permit.
- If a person is currently in the military, intentions may be filed by either party, providing one is a Massachusetts resident. If a person is currently serving they do not need to be present to file but a copy of a Military ID is required.
- If you wish to have an out-of-state member of the clergy perform your wedding they need to get a "Certificate of Authorization" from the Massachusetts Secretary of the Commonwealth prior to the ceremony. This can take a few weeks so plan accordingly. Call 617-727-2836.
- If you wish to have a non-minister or non-justice of the peace (such as a friend, relative, or family friend) they need to obtain special permission to perform the ceremony from the Governor's office. This process may require a few weeks so plan accordingly. We recommend that you apply between 1 and 3 months before the wedding to ensure the designations are received in time. Call 617-725-4055 or visit the One-Day Marriage Designation page.
- The Town in which you file your Intentions of Marriage is the Town that will have the record of your marriage regardless of where the wedding takes place.
- If you need further copies of your marriage certificate, certified copies are $10 each and may be obtained in person at the Town Clerk's Office, by mail, or online. Please see the information below in order to obtain a copy of your marriage certificate through the mail or online.
- Reasons you may need a certified copy of your marriage include a name change with the Social Security Administration and Registry of Motor Vehicles, health insurance, bank accounts, property or deeds, and any other important documents and accounts.
Justice of the Peace
There are several Justice of the Peace on Cape Cod that are available to perform weddings. View a list that is located in Dennis:
- Marianne Holland, Phone: 617-698-8272
- Stephanie Lowell, Phone: 508-398-3123
- Julia Johnson, Phone: 774-212-3100
- Jerry DeSalvatore, Phone: 508-744-3223
- Theresa T. Bunce, Phone: 508-760 -6115
- Sara P. McDonald, Phone: 508-760-6116
Records maintained by the Town Clerk include birth, marriage and death records, dog licenses, business certificates (DBA), federal and state tax liens, issues Auctioneer Licenses and Raffle Permits, files decisions of the Planning Board, Zoning Board of Appeals, and Historic District Commissions.
The Town does not keep track of Divorce Records. View information regarding how to file for divorce, or please contact your local probate court:
- Barnstable District Court
- Orleans District Court
- Certified copies of birth certificates may be obtained from the Town Clerk if the child was born in Dennis or the parents were living in Dennis at the time of birth.
- A certified copy of a birth record can be obtained in person during business hours as indicated.
- Mail requests will be processed and mailed out on the same day. Requests should include the full birth name and date of birth. Personal checks or money orders should be made out to the Town of Dennis. Payments may also be made online using UniPay for an additional fee of $1.50 for shipping and handling.
- The fee for a certified copy of a birth certificate is $10.
There are exceptions in cases of impounded records (parents were not married at the time of birth). Please call the office for special instructions in obtaining these records.
- Certified copies of marriage certificates may be obtained from the Town Clerk if the couple filed their marriage intentions in Dennis.
- A certified copy of a marriage certificate may be obtained in person during business hours as indicated.
- Mail requests will be processed and mailed out on the same day. Requests should include the full names of the couple and date of marriage. Personal checks or money orders should be made out to the Town of Dennis. Payments may also be made online using UniPay for an additional fee of $1.50 for shipping and handling.
- The fee for a certified copy of a marriage certificate is $10.
There are exceptions in cases of impounded records (parents not married at the time of birth). Please call the office for special instructions in obtaining these records.
- Certified copies of death certificates may be obtained from the Town Clerk if the death occurred in Dennis, or if the decedent resided in Dennis at the time of death and died within the State of Massachusetts.
- A certified copy of a death certificate may be obtained in person or by mail. Personal checks or money orders should be made out to the Town of Dennis. Payments may also be made online using UniPay for an additional fee of $1.50 for shipping and handling
- The fee for the certified copy of a death certificate is $10.
- Burial permits for funeral homes are free of charge and are obtained through the Town Clerk's Office.
- For information regarding burial plots please contact the Cemetery Division.
For additional information please visit the State of Massachusetts websites: